Friday, August 29, 2008

Taking a nap and gaining perspective...

I took a nap yesterday.

This may seem like an average, run of the mill thing to do... nothing related to being in the big city. This nap, however, stemmed from something much bigger.

I've discovered over the past week and a half that there are lot of things for a doll to do in the big city. I have classes that require homework and attendance (even if I am too short to be noticed), and piano practice to do. I have a job to go to, and I have paperwork to fill out. I also have a blog to write. :)

Somehow, in the midst of all these things, I'd forgotten the most important one. Letting my Bible homework fill in the place of my devotions, or simply offering up a quick prayer as I dashed down the stairs to an eight o'clock class, I neglected to simply sit before the Lord and take in daily nourishment from Him. I didn't turn to Him when the stressors came my way; instead, I just went on, trying to solve it myself. Eventually, however, trying a task that is far beyond my strength led to one place: emotional and physical exhaustion.

As I lay down for my nap, I wondered to myself why I was so tired. I went to bed early last night, and got a good night's sleep. But as I started to fall asleep, it all came together... and by the time my nap was over, God had shown me what the problem was. Forgetting to depend solely on Him for my strength left me weak and spent. If I had simply trusted in my Savior and looked to Him for the energy to get through the day, feeding on His Word and stopping to listen to His counsel, I would have had His strength and perspective.

God led me to this passage during my devotions yesterday afternoon. Psalm 62:5-8 reads, "For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us."

It's easy for a doll like me to get tossed around when I don't have my eyes set on the One who's holding me tight and not letting go, loving me as His own daughter, and molding me into the person He wants me to be. But when I pour out my heart before Him, trusting in Him as my salvation, He brings everything back into focus.

With love from an absolute doll,
Erin Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment